Self & Career Assessment

8:58 AM

This started out as a note to Mademoiselle Mitchell but soon turned into a blog post. Read and enjoy.


I was applying for an internship on Friday when my bf asked if the job fit into my mission, if it was what I wanted to do and if I even knew what I wanted to do. That made me uneasy because honestly, I don't know.

This morning, I started using this Idealist Guide to First Jobs and its really helping. There's a section about self-knowledge that includes exercises for a self and career assessment and I'm enjoying it so much I had to share! Right now I'm assessing all my work experience, paid and volunteer, since high school to look at what I'm thinking of as the good, the bad and my takeaways/lessons learned.

Its heartwarming and beneficial to see even in situations that weren't optimal (i.e. the funding runaround for my camp) I gained a myriad of skills and have ideas on how to make my next endeavor better. Experience is the best teacher and its kicked me in the butt a few times! So, if you don't have it already, check it out. You can download it for free from Idealist.

More to come...

To all of you out there - is anyone seeking a career/job change? Have you crafted a personal mission statement in the past? If so, let me know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Followers

Melissa's Reading List

  • Women Don't Ask - Linda Babcock & Sara Laschever
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
  • 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
  • The Tipping Point
  • The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You - John C. Maxwell